Follow Me on Twitter

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Muscles that workout well together!

If you’re in the stage where you are working out strong and eating right, but you still want to take full advantage of making your muscles ‘pop’, then try working out the same muscle groups together every week!

Start off the week working your Chest and Triceps together on the same day. At first you may be confused as to how those two muscles work together to give you results – but over time you will be surprised that the two are needed together to help get through your lifting  chest or tri workouts. Work them through 3 different sets of workouts with little sets in between. When I start my week, on Mondays I choose 3 different chest workouts and 3 different tri workouts. Among each ‘set’, it is best to build up ‘reps’ or counts for each movement you are performing. Start off with a rep of 10 (which means a count of 10) and then add an additional one every few weeks. I started working out doing just 10 reps but gained the strength up to 15 counts for my current workouts. In one 45 minute workout session I am able to work through 3 different sets with a total of 90 reps (that’s 45 per muscle group) with each set!

To break it down:
3 sets = the total of your lifting workout for the day
1 set = two workouts (one chest and one tricep)
1 workout = a rotation of 3 full reps of one muscle
Full rep = a count of 10-15 times on each muscle

So, if you lost count, that’s 10x3 = 30 (total counts per muscle) x2 = 60 reps per set!
Or if you were taking the maximum amount of reps it would be 15x3 = 45 (total counts per muscle) x2 = 90 reps per set!

It is important to remember to let your muscles breathe by rotating in between each full rep. After you do 10 reps on your chest, head over to the tricep pull-down and do 10 reps on that. Keep going until you have completed 3 full reps of each – and then onward to your next set!

Additional muscle groups that workout well together:
Back and Biceps – with these try to rotate workouts each week so that you are targeting your upper and lower back differently.
Legs and Shoulders – with these try to rotate workouts each week so that you are targeting your upper and lower legs differently.

TIP OF THE WEEK: if you are going for size over tone, try increasing your weights and decreasing your reps - this will help your body push through to make room for even bigger muscles :)

For further questions about muscle groups, check out this online article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/343688-what-body-parts-should-i-work-together-in-the-gym/

Cheers!

Meg

6 comments:

  1. Megan,
    These are awesome tips! I will add this to my workout regime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,
    You have offered some great workout tips! I have already used these tips in my own workout routine. I appreciate the ideas and insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying to work out more. Summer will be here soon and I will have to put on a bathing suit. AH! I have to lose my winter weight. I will try these tips! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Megan,

    Excellent post in regards to working out muscle groups together. I've always tried to put some thought into this and notice that many other lifters seem to wander around working out multiple muscles per gym visit. I especially enjoyed your recommendation of working out your triceps while taking a break from doing check workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Megan!
    Awesome post! These are great tips that I will try to implement into my workout routine! I think a lot of people get caught up in the quantity of a work out (# of reps or workout length) that they forget about the making sure to create a quality workout plan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this. I am currently on my 8th week in the gym and eating healthier. This will defiantly help.

    ReplyDelete